Don Spann is a native of New Orleans Louisiana, grew up and went to school in McLean, VA, and graduated with a BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Virginia. Concurrently, he completed training as a Midshipman in UVA’s NROTC Scholarship Program and received his commission in the U.S. Navy. Don served on the USS Saratoga CV-60 for three and a half years, made two Mediterranean deployments and earned his Surface Warfare Designation. As an Emergency Sortie Officer of the Deck Underway, he was one of a handful of officers qualified and designated to take the carrier to sea under emergency situations. Don received a Navy Commendation Medal for his service with the Navy Recruiting Command where he went on to lead the Navy Officer Recruiting Team in Jacksonville Florida to number one in the Southeast. Don also participated with a Navy Reserve Shipyard Unit after coming to Maine for four years.
He moved to Maine in 1983, when he accepted a position in the Planning Department at Bath Iron Works, in Bath, Maine where he held numerous Senior Management positions including Director of Engineering Planning & Life Cycle Support and Director of Production Control prior to his retirement in January 2005. Don was recognized by both BIW and NAVSEA for his efforts in support of Navy Shipbuilding when he was awarded an Aegis Excellence Award during the Cruiser Program and received the first Arleigh Burke baseball bat from the CO of the Arleigh Burke. He and his wife Sue Spann opened RE/MAX Riverside Real Estate Company in Topsham, Maine in 2002. Mr. Spann received his Real Estate License in 2003, subsequently joining RE/MAX full time as a licensed Commercial Realtor in 2005 when he formed their commercial real estate division.
Don Spann has always been very active in the Community, and has been Chairman of both Topsham’s Planning Board and Topsham Development INC. (TDI) for several years now. He is also currently a member of the DAC, Design Advisory Committee for the new bridge appointed by Topsham’s Board of Selectmen and represents Maine RE/MAX Broker Owners on the REMAX of New England Executive Council. Don has also provided several years of leadership and service on each of the following boards and committees, among others;
- Chairman, Board of Directors, and Executive Committee of the Southern MidCoast Chamber of Commerce.
- President, Treasurer of St. John’s Boosters
- Vice Chair, Member of St. John’s School Board
- Topsham Finance Committee Member
- United Way of Midcoast Maine, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- BBBS Board of Directors, Vice Chair, Advisory Council
- St. John’s Blue Ribbon Committee
- Committee Chair, BSA Troop 646 in Topsham
- Member of Rotary International/Paul Harris Fellow
- Corporator, Mid Coast Health Services
- Salvation Army Bell Ringer
- 2016 RE/MAX Hall of Fame
- 2017 Harry C. Crooker Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit my commercial property website at: